Patrick “Pat” Catlin, who was elected to a second continuous term as president of the Garden Grove Strawberry Festival Association for the 2021-2022 calendar year, announced the theme for the 62nd annual Garden Grove Strawberry Festival on Friday, which will be held live over Memorial Day weekend, May 27-30, will be “Celebrating the Essential Workers” who have helped us through this pandemic.
Catlin served his first term as GGSFA President from 2020 to 2021.
Catlin said, “We look forward to presenting our Live Festival again this year in 2022. The Festival was interrupted in 2020 and 2021 during the global health crisis with the COVID 19 pandemic, which has never happened since. the beginning of the Festival in 1958. Concerned about the safety of the general public during our event this year, we will install cleaning stations throughout the festival site.
He added: “With the addition of my son, Billy Catlin, who will join me as a partner in the coming year, and my mother, Sue Catlin, who is in charge of the VIP breakfast, three generations of the Catlin family will be working on Strawberry Festival 2022 simultaneously. My late father, Bill Catlin, also volunteered with the Strawberry Festival for over 20 years. It is a great honor and privilege to serve as President of this wonderful organization. Pat Catlin also oversees the tents and electricity for the festival.
Other GGSFA 2022 elected officers include: Andrea Perez, President-Elect/Community Services Officer/Appointments, with Taylor Perez as Associate; George Skelton, Treasurer/Donations Committee with Suki Carter as Associate; and Christine Ball, Past Secretary/President from 2019 to 2020 with Robin Suarez as a partner.
GGSFA 2022 Directors and Associates will include:
- Dr. Dawn Miller, Special Children’s Day/Donations Committee
- Laura Neuschafer, Cake Cutting with Malu Mendoza as partner
- Fred Ramirez, Office/Installation with Frederico Ramirez as partner
- Debbie Mahoney, Scholarships, with Sheri Larson as Associate
- Sue Catlin, VIP Breakfast, with Patti Catlin as partner
- Camille Garrett, VIP lunch
- Ben Santos, Environment (Land/Sanitation)
- Jeff Sanders, Parade Coordinator
- Bill Gutaskus, Rentals/Carts/ATMs with Sue Gutaskus as Associate
- Randy Arbgast, kiosks and vendors, with Edi Arbgast as associate
- Mark Mahoney, Games/Permits/Carnival/Food; with Miles Mahoney as partner
- Josh Lindsay, Staged Events, with Angel Zaragoza as partner
- Steve Sanders, Rides and Grounds with Ryan Sanders as Associate
- Scott Weimer, Parking/Fencing with Marilyn Tortolano as associate
- Heidi Levesque, Competition
- Donald Schlensker, Civic Food Booths/Permits, with Allan Zusman as Partner
Additionally, Janet Pelayo serves as the festival’s municipal liaison with the Garden Grove Community Services Department; Lisa Taylor is the festival’s insurance representative; David Sarell of Pageantry Parades is the parade producer and Steve Moyer Public Relations is the festival publicist.